site administration

Have something to say about the site? Let us know here.
anifan

site administration

Post by anifan »

I thought I'd start a new posting as this topic has gone on awhile. As well, I want to address several issues (some of which I've previously commented on before).

:arrow: :?: I'm wondering if the old site administrators have been doing some work on the site recently. This is because I have seen some changes, per my previous comments. One is the elimination of the "double home page". I thought they were unable to do it because of becoming too busy with other things? Are we still looking for a new administrator? There is still work to do, in addition to regular maintenance.

As well, we did have, for awhile recently, a new page between the Forum topic page and the postings, listing the dates of the postings. This was kind of clumsy, but it was better than nothing. I was thrown off by this at first, as it appeared unannounced. However, although it was surely useful, was it taken down because it was less than an ideal solution?

We still have a link from our Home page to the old JAWS schedule that we originally put on our new site, which has long remained unupdated. However, as I have just recently discovered (and I seem to be discovering corners of the site I haven't seen before somehow), Greg has put a Schedule listing under the JAWS portion of the Forums (this must have been what he was talking about at the meetings). This has been regularly updated - except for October - when Greg was away - and now not for November as well. Regardless, although the forums listing is easy for Greg to do - and somewhat useful - it is nevertheless obscure - and it is preferable to have a linking to a Schedule page DIRECTLY from the Home page.

I also wish to report problems accessing the site, specifically from Google - although it does work with Internet Explorer. The URL doesn't even work on the non-Canada Google search now. According to Kim, it helps if you specifically register with Google. When using the full name on Google, results do vary, depending on whether you use "Watchers'", "Watcher's", or "Watchers". Using "Watcher's" with Google Canadian search will get you links with Karl's old JAWS home page, and JAMS (not Anime Alberta, as I previously mentioned), and DOA.

I have a specific problem today - when I access Karl's old JAWS home page, or go through JAMS (Lethbridge anime club), and go to the new JAWS home page, I get various new site pages I can't maximize, plus no scroll bar at the sides to move the page vertically with. True, this and other problems with the new site aren't specifically bugs; but has the old home page link been deactivated, or more likely, partially disabled somehow? This is a problem that needs to be addressed if it's happening with people on other computers, as we still need the link with the old home page for awhile. It DOES work through DOA link though - you DO get the new JAWS site directly. Hm, I think maybe someone has specifically given the new JAWS URL to update DOA's link?

The site Forums clock is now one hour ahead (??). I am not sure if this is much of an improvement... I think it's supposed to be GMT -6 hours (same as MST with Hotmail).

anifan

site administration

Post by anifan »

All right. Now the clock says GMT -8. And it's (still) an hour behind. :evil: I think that's what I meant before. I'm not sure what to think anymore. :? But on to more important things....

I found out that the Avatars come on when you log in (I think). Well, duh... But I don't get the list of dated postings - that should come on besides when you ask for your own - even though Kim got them the other day, when we were using computers at the same place. People says that this is a function of using "networked" computers (at public computers). I'm not sure what bearing that has on it. But I don't necessarily think it is directly because of the JAWS website.

Opinions? Administrators?

Pellanor
Site Admin

Post by Pellanor »

I thought they were unable to do it because of becoming too busy with other things?
Uhmm... woops. I haven't been that busy, but mostly I just forget, or get distracted by FFXII or Civ IV. Hopefully I'll remember to get some work done this weekend.
As well, we did have, for awhile recently, a new page between the Forum topic page and the postings, listing the dates of the postings. This was kind of clumsy, but it was better than nothing. I was thrown off by this at first, as it appeared unannounced. However, although it was surely useful, was it taken down because it was less than an ideal solution?
I have no idea what you're talking about.
We still have a link from our Home page to the old JAWS schedule that we originally put on our new site, which has long remained unupdated. However, as I have just recently discovered (and I seem to be discovering corners of the site I haven't seen before somehow), Greg has put a Schedule listing under the JWS portion of the Forums (this must have been what he was talking about at the meetings). This has been regularly updated - except for October - when Greg was away - and now not for November as well. Regardless, although the forums listing is easy for Greg to do - and somewhat useful - it is nevertheless obscure - and it is preferable to have a linking to a Schedule page DIRECTLY from the Home page.
Switching over to the new page is the next big thing I want done, and really should have had taken care of a few months back. It will have the updated schedule on it.
I also wish to report problems accessing the site, specifically from Google - although it does work with Internet Explorer. The URL doesn't even work on the non-Canada Google search now. According to Kim, it helps if you specifically register with Google. When using the full name on Google, results do vary, depending on whether you use "Watchers'", "Watcher's", or "Watchers". Using "Watcher's" with Google Canadian search will get you links with Karl's old JAWS home page, and JAMS (not Anime Alberta, as I previously mentioned), and DOA.
That's something that's really hard to deal with. People make a living doing Search Engine Optimization, making it so that your site is easy to find on web browsers. I'll do what I can here, but don't expect much.
I have a specific problem today - when I access Karl's old JAWS home page, or go through JAMS (Lethbridge anime club), and go to the new JAWS home page, I get various new site pages I can't maximize, plus no scroll bar at the sides to move the page vertically with. True, this and other problems with the new site aren't specifically bugs; but has the old home page link been deactivated, or more likely, partially disabled somehow? This is a problem that needs to be addressed if it's happening with people on other computers, as we still need the link with the old home page for awhile. It DOES work through DOA link though - you DO get the new JAWS site directly. Hm, I think maybe someone has specifically given the new JAWS URL to update DOA's link?
This is a problem with the way Karl's link is coded. He's telling it to open the page in a pop-up window instead of linking here directly. You'll have to talk to him to get that fixed.
The site Forums clock is now one hour ahead (??). I am not sure if this is much of an improvement... I think it's supposed to be GMT -6 hours (same as MST with Hotmail).
It is not supposed to be GMT -6. It's supposed to be GMT -7, but with DST turned off (seeing as we're no longer in DST). I'm having the same problem though, so I'll check to see what's going on.
All right. Now the clock says GMT -8. And it's (still) an hour behind. Evil or Very Mad I think that's what I meant before. I'm not sure what to think anymore. Confused But on to more important things....
Okay, it seems like you're messing around with your clock settings. I'm not entirely sure what you're doing. Once I figure out what settings are needed to get it working, I'll post them.
I found out that the Avatars come on when you log in (I think). Well, duh... But I don't get the list of dated postings - that should come on besides when you ask for your own - even though Kim got them the other day, when we were using computers at the same place. People says that this is a function of using "networked" computers (at public computers). I'm not sure what bearing that has on it. But I don't necessarily think it is directly because of the JAWS website.
Okay, once again, no idea what you're saying. What list of dated postings are you talking about? When you ask for your own what? You have to be more descriptive with your problems, preferably including a screenshot, if I'm to make sense of them.

Pellanor
Site Admin

Post by Pellanor »

Okay, it looks like the proper way to set the time in your profile, is to select the time zone (GMT -7) with DST turned OFF.

anifan

"Posting a Reply" (etc. etc.)

Post by anifan »

OK, looks like I finally got this sumbitching thing to double-quote properly. :shock: Nothing like cracking the BB code. :wink:
I thought they were unable to do it because of becoming too busy with other things?
Uhmm... woops. I haven't been that busy, but mostly I just forget, or get distracted by FFXII or Civ IV. Hopefully I'll remember to get some work done this weekend.
Umm, what are "FFXII or Civ IV?" :?:
Okay, once again, no idea what you're saying. What list of dated postings are you talking about? When you ask for your own what? You have to be more descriptive with your problems, preferably including a screenshot, if I'm to make sense of them.
:o Well, that's about as descriptive as I can get. I'm a techno-illiterate, using plain language, the exact *opposite* of a site adminstrator type. I dunno, about the list of dated postings for any given topic - sometimes they come on - sometimes they don't. You're the Admin; I thought that you built in something where you could also see your own postings... Kim got it to go... it's supposed to pop up and tell you or something. :?
All right. Now the clock says GMT -8. And it's (still) an hour behind. Evil or Very Mad I think that's what I meant before. I'm not sure what to think anymore. Confused But on to more important things....
Okay, it seems like you're messing around with your clock settings. I'm not entirely sure what you're doing. Once I figure out what settings are needed to get it working, I'll post them.
:!: as I said before, these are ***NOT*** my own computers! Don't know how to get a screenshot - have heard of it - though I see how it would actually help. BTW: I am referring to the clock on the JAWS *SITE* not the clock on the shared computers, which is MST corrected for DST.
- and it is preferable to have a linking to a Schedule page DIRECTLY from the Home page.
Switching over to the new page is the next big thing I want done, and really should have had taken care of a few months back. It will have the updated schedule on it.
Cool. 8)
I also wish to report problems accessing the site -
That's something that's really hard to deal with. People make a living doing Search Engine Optimization, making it so that your site is easy to find on web browsers. I'll do what I can here, but don't expect much.
Hmm....
I have a specific problem today - I [can't] access Karl's old JAWS home page,
This is a problem with the way Karl's link is coded. He's telling it to open the page in a pop-up window instead of linking here directly. You'll have to talk to him to get that fixed.
Could do.
Okay, it looks like the proper way to set the time in your profile, is to select the time zone (GMT -7) with DST turned OFF.
OK. but so long as you the Admin can do it on the JAWS site? Cause I can't seem to do it on on these computers. :roll:

Pellanor
Site Admin

Re: "Posting a Reply" (etc. etc.)

Post by Pellanor »

anifan wrote:
Umm, what are "FFXII or Civ IV?" :?:
FFXII is Final Fantasy Twelve. Civ IV is Civilization Four. Both are video games.
anifan wrote:
:o Well, that's about as descriptive as I can get. I'm a techno-illiterate, using plain language, the exact *opposite* of a site adminstrator type. I dunno, about the list of dated postings for any given topic - sometimes they come on - sometimes they don't. You're the Admin; I thought that you built in something where you could also see your own postings... Kim got it to go... it's supposed to pop up and tell you or something. :?
You can take a screen shot by hitting the "PrtSc" (Print Screen) key on the keyboard, then opening paint and pasting the results (Just go edit - paste). Then save the image, and upload it to some site like photobucket, and then include the link in your post here.
anifan wrote:
:!: as I said before, these are ***NOT*** my own computers! Don't know how to get a screenshot - have heard of it - though I see how it would actually help. BTW: I am referring to the clock on the JAWS *SITE* not the clock on the shared computers, which is MST corrected for DST.
The time displayed on the site is something you set in your profile on the site itself. It has nothing to do with the computer you're on. This is mentioned in the FAQ.