Monthly movies at JAWS

Talk about whatever you want here.
tigergirl

Monthly movies at JAWS

Post by tigergirl »

Earlier today, I went over to Phoenix Comics to see what I have in my box and I have just found out that they have got in for me, the full-length movie of Fred Perry's Gold Digger.

It took a long time (several years in the making) for this project to come to fruition. This Gold Digger movie (more or less) follows the first mini-series of his works that later became a comic book series.

This is from the Antarctic Press website about the movie:
"Disc 1 running time: Approx. 60 min.
Disc 2 running time: ??—Hours of reading content!
Gold Digger fans, this is the DVD package for you! Get the full-length "Time Raft" OVA, commentary tracks, animated outtakes, stills and much more! A ton of A.P. animation trailers, a "motion comic" of Gold Digger #99, a digital edition of the Gold Digger Mangazine Color Special (the original comic story basis for the OVA)—enough extra goodies to require a whole other DVD!"

I will be getting it at the end of this month, but unless I get it on the Wednesday, I would like to show it at the next JAWS meet after (which would be August).

I know that there would be at least one person (Carole) who would be interested in this movie, but you might have to be patient and wait until August.

So if anyone is interested I will bring this movie, once I get the DVD.

anifan

Monthly movies at JAWS

Post by anifan »

I think that Gold Digger is pseudo-manga, and therefore, would be pseudo-anime.

I would like to suggest the movie, Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland. This is 20 years old - not counting 10 years development time - but is considered the first anime movie to be released theatrically, meaning simultaneously in wide markets (as opposed to the "Sound of Music" art house movie tour of Akira). Also, it had Disney people working on it. It is a kids' movie and somewhat dated, but I liked it. NOTE: make sure that you get the 100 minute version, instead of the edited 85 minute one.

anifan

Monthly movies at JAWS

Post by anifan »

I should have mentioned this before, but I've been distracted by landlord-tenant problems. I think we should move Gold Digger or other films, until the meeting in late August. Early August is the 65th anniversary of the atom bombings in Japan.

Kim got a listing on AnimeDB (Anime Data Base). I have got a list of relevant titles. Kim will research (or Ray can) whether they are available as video, or even subtitled. I know that the TV Specials are available on video - because they scanned the DVD covers. They are from the Japanese point of view, re sometimes World War 2 generally. This does not include period propaganda films. They range from straight biography, to in one case, a time travel/alternate reality piece (Toki no Tabibito: Time Stranger). Some have no descriptions on AnimeDB (the TV Specials; Kuroi Ame ni Utarete [Struck by Black Rain]). Kim has seen Grave of the Fireflies and both Barefoot Gen movies; we saw The Glass Rabbit a few years ago at the Plaza Theatre, as presented by the Japanese consulate.

Movies (including one featurette):

Anne no Nikki [Diary of Anne Frank] (1995 - 102m)
Glass no Usagi [The Glass Rabbit] (2005 - 84m)
Hadashi no Gen [Barefoot Gen] (1983 - 83m)
Hadashi no Gen 2 [Barefoot Gen 2] (1986 - 86m)
Hotaru no Haka [Grave of the Fireflies] (1988 - 90m)
Hi no Ame ga Furu [Rain of Fire] (1988 - 80m)
Kankara Sanshin [?] (1989 - 78m)
Kuroi Ame ni Utarete [Struck by Black Rain] (1984 - 90m)
Nagasaki 1945: Angelus no Kane [Nagasaki 1945: The Angelus Bells] (2005 - 80m)
Ohoshi-sama no Rail [Rail of the Star] (1993 - 77m)
Toki no Tabibito: Time Stranger (1986 - 95m)
Tsuru ni Notte: Tomoko no Bouken [On a Paper Crane: Tomoko's Adventure] (1993 - 30m)
Tsushimamaru: Sayonara Okinawa [Tsushimamaru: Goodbye, Okinawa] (1982 - 70m)
Ushiro no Shoumen Dare [Who's Left Behind?; aka Kayoko's Diary] (1991 - 90m)

TV Specials:

Hiroshima ni Ichiban Densha ga Hashitta [?] (sequel to Natsufuku no Shoujotachi) (1993 - 32m)
Natsufuku no Shoujotachi [Girls in Summer Clothes] (1988 - 35m)
Tako ni Natta Okaa-san [?] (2003 - 45m)