JAWS' annual Xmas bash

Updates about the Site and JAWS can be found here.
anifan

JAWS' annual Xmas bash

Post by anifan »

Now is the time we should start thinking about planning for the traditional JAWS Xmas bash. Can you at least announce that you'll be taking suggestions for programming, this Wed, Greg? Plus we should hash it starting late Oct. OMG, do we want to try for doing costumes at Halloween (already)?

TIME: I'm trying to remember what we brought up earlier, but the last Wed in Dec falls just after Boxing Day - should that work?

PROGRAMMING: Typically, we suspend / put into hiatus our regular programming, and either show a limited series, or a bunch of goodies, which could include a movie - sometimes this stuff is related to what we've been watching. Also, it would be kool if we could show the better AMV stuff. :wink:

FOOD: Yeah, probably we'll just have pizzas. (I actually think that nearby Pizza 73 is about the best of the lot.) But we need other goodies - pop, chips, Xmas chocolate & stuff. Not sushi; how about Pocki? Maybe Ray and Terry can pick up some stuff, and we can put money into the traditional pot, to pay them.

Above all, we need to just sit back and relax - not show anime every minute (hints); eat, hobnob, and just generally party. Oh, yeah, and start early, so we can have a decent bash.

tigergirl

here are some suggestions

Post by tigergirl »

:idea: As Christmas is coming, I thought of checking out Video and Sound to see what they had in the Anime section, to see what we might be able to see at our Christmas meet. It was then that I had check out the DVD’s that have either 12 or 13 eps and I have come up quite a few. :idea:

Here is the list of the DVD’s that have 12 or 13 eps.

I will try to give a synopsis of each of the titles that I am given.

So on with the list:

:?:

:?: Amaenaideyo!!: Satonaka Ikko is an apprentice Buddhist priest. He is sent to Saien Temple whose chief priest is his grand mother, Jotoku. What waiting for him there are severe training, purification jobs, and 6 nuns. The situation living with nuns of the same ages sounds enviable, but actually he is treated as an errand boy, and his purification skill cannot compare with theirs. However, when he has worldly desire, his power becomes stronger than anybody.

:?: ARIA: A 15-year-old girl, Mizunashi Akari, came to the Mars. It is the year of A.D. 2301, the Mars has turned into a planet of water by the terraforming, and now it is called “Aqua”. She came to the lagoon city, Neo Venezia, to become a "undine", or a pilot of gondola.

:?: Geneshaft: In the future of the earth, genetic manipulation and refinement has replaced evolution and a groups of mankind's best and finest females starts a mission to solve a riddle about the giant golden ring that has appeared in space next to earth. Another anime that mixes computer graphics with modern anime drawing styles.

:?: Gin'yu Mokushiroku Meine Liebe Wieder: :cry: Sorry no synopsis for this one. :cry:

:?: Gravitation: Based on a shounen-ai (boys-love) manga by Maki Murakami, Gravitation TV revolves around high school student Shindou Shuichi, who is determined to become a professional singer. Under the band name BAD LUCK, Shuichi teams up with his best friend Nakano Hiroshi. However, in addition to the trials and tribulations he faces in his career, Shuichi falls in love with popular novelist Yuki Eiri, and finds that the road to stardom and love don't always go hand in hand...

:?: Gunslinger Girl: Brainwashed girls who do not have any relatives or any place to go are being trained as professional assassins and given mechanical bodies by a so called non-profit welfare organization. They have lost their consciences and do not hesitate to kill at all. They spend their lives smoke stained, covered in gunpowder and blood.

It's a sad story about suffering girls who have lost their past but who still cling to life. After they are brainwashed, they can kill with an innocent face and without any hesitation. They don't think about their deeds nor feel any pity. However, behind their cute disguises, they are destroying themselves and refusing to grow up.

:?: IZUMO - Takeki Ken no Senki: * Based on a game by Studio e go!

Yagi Takeru is a student who goes to Izumo Academy. He has no family but he spends his days with his friends like Yamato Takeshi who is his best friend as well as his rival in kendo, Shiratori Kotono and her sister, Asuka.

One day, an abrupt earthquake changed the school completely. The teachers and the students disappeared and the school was infested with monsters. Takeru managed to escape from the school, but he found all his friends and even his town were gone. Then suddenly people wearing odd uniforms appeared.

:?: Kannazuki No Miko: There is a small town somewhere in Japan, which is surrounded by nature. In this town, there is a large and gorgeous school, Otobashi Gakuen, which was founded to familiarise the students with nature.

This story centers around Kurusugawa Himeko, a normal student who attends Otobashi Gakuen.

She leads a bright and enjoyable school life with her two friends, Himekawa Chikane and Ogami Soma. Chikane is a daughter of a distinguished family. She excels at both studying and sports is wise and beautiful. Furthermore, she has a friendly disposition and is very popular among the other students. Ogami Soma is Himeko’s childhood friend. He has problems expressing his emotions directly, but he is very sincere.

On Himeko's 16th birthday, her fate changes...

:?: Miami Guns: Spoiled rich girl Yao decides to join the Miami police force to enjoy car chases, gunfights and wanton destruction. The psychotic and not-too-bright girl is partnered with Lu Amano, the soft-spoken and sharp-tongued daughter of the police chief. Together the dirty duo clean up the streets of Miami and take on a mysterious crime syndicate known only as 'The Organization'.

:?: Moken: :cry: Sorry no synopsis for this one. :cry:

:?: Okusama Wa Maho Shojo: The story starts in an old castle town. It looks like other towns, but there is one thing different from others. People called “Magical Girls” are living there. They come from another world, “Realm”. For them, our world is just a temporary world, and they call our world “Wonderland”.

Some magical girls wish to make our world into what they want to be. Asaba Ureshiko is usually a bit absentminded. However, she is actually a magical girl named “Agnes Belle” came from Realm, and she is also an administrator of Wonder Land.

She married Asaba Tamotsu, who is a normal man in this world, keeping the secret that she is a magical girl. But, she hasn’t kissed him although they’ve been married because it is said that the magical girl loses her magical power by kissing a man. In addition, she has to save this world secretly.

:?: Rajugo Tennyo Oyu: :cry: Sorry no synopsis for this one. :cry:

:?: Ray the Animation: A beautiful surgeon Ray was transplanted eyes that could see through objects by a genius surgeon named B.J. With her eyes and genius technique, she has succeeded in difficult operations.

However, she has a terrible past that she wants to forget but she can’t.

She was bred without being given a name in a “white room” by an “organization” with children with the same circumstances. She was deprived her eyes by a man wearing an H-shaped ring. She had been there until that fateful day when someone saved her.

Ten years have passed since then, solving difficult events and operations, she is looking for the man who robbed her eyes, friends in the “white room”, and herself.

:?: Renkinsankyy: :cry: Sorry no synopsis for this one. :cry:

:?: Rescue Wings: Second Lieutenant, Uchida Kazuhiro, is a new helicopter pilot. However what he really wanted to be was a fighter pilot to fly at supersonic speed in stratosphere. But he faced a harsh reality. During the pilot training, he was transferred to the rescue helicopter course. Now, he is working for the Komatsu Rescue Squad whose mission is only rescue.

At first he is depressed because he is assigned to the position that he doesn’t wish. But, joining various missions, for example, rescue of airplane accidents, missing in mountains, earthquakes, and so forth, he gradually thinks it a challenging job.

:?: Rozen Maiden: Sakurada Jun was in the second grade of junior high, but he dropped out of school because he had problems socializing with his classmates. After he quit school, Jun refused to go out, and spent all his time at home shopping on the internet for 'weird' or 'cursed' items. One day, a mysterious box appeared in the middle of his room. When he opened the box, he found a sophisticated doll, which looked so real that it appeared to be alive...

:?:

This is all the ones that I could fing at Video and Sound. They have the Anime in two section. :oops: :? :roll: The section that I got the video list from looks like that they are the bootlegged version from Japan not North America, but still they look like bootleg copies. :oops: :? :roll: I hope that they can be found on bittorent site or something similar.

So from this list what would you watch.

anifan

JAWS' annual Xmas bash

Post by anifan »

Well, Greg disappeared over to a gamers' tournament in Europe in September! And Diane (or Diana?) was sick last month, so Greg was in and out... :( So Hallowe'en has come and gone, which is just as well at this stage of JAWS... But while that has been optional, we have always had an annual JAWS' Xmas bash (thought I don't recall costumes).

Well, I am going through the suggestions by Kim... She forgot to mention that she got the descriptions off the Animenfo website or some such...that's why some of them are AWOL. No, she didn't buy them all!!! So if we get one of these, it will require a trip up Centre Street, maybe.

I don't know. None of these really get me going. I think that for OAVs - if new(?) - they're falling off the rails. So much for really interesting and edgy stuff on them... I DO like the suggestion by Diana below:
Daidoji Safaia wrote:I would like to watch Basilisk, because I like ninjas -- also, I am currently watching a show called Ginban Kaleidoscope, it's quite cute and I enjoy it. ^_^ But quite possibly it is too shojou.

Hope many others will post here too. ^_^

- Diana
Could this be the same person as Greg Wong's girlfriend?? Hell, the club president's! Now if that can't get anything played! If other people support it... Basilisk has (mercifully) come and gone. But about Ginban Kaleidoscope ---

Too shojou :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: Please!! That is not possible!! Well, almost. That WAS the main staple fare of JAWS until recently. Which leads me to say:

NO VAMPIRES!! At least not for Christmas. (And unless they're funny.) I (we?) need a respite. There, I just had to get that off my chest. I want to see vampire anime on the cover of the North American edition of Newtype first, before becoming enthusiastic about it. If ever. Not sure if its time will come.

OK. To the matter of Ginban Kaleidoscope: Kim and I looked this up - and it's only a dozen episodes. SO: (1) Could we play this; and (2) could Diana supply it?

Oh yeah, there's the little matter of the plot... Well, it goes something like this....

Genres: Comedy, Romance, Sports, Supernatural
Plot Summary: 16-year old Sakurano Tazusa is a Japanese figure ice-skater who considers herself to be worth $10 billion in beauty. While executing her moves in the Women's Figure Skating Grand Prix, she stumbled and landed badly, hence resulting in her loss in the competition. At the same time, in the same city, a Canadian youth by the name of Pete Pumps was performing an air stunt when his plane crashes and he dies. Tazusa starts to hear a strange voices and realises that the Canadian ghost now resides in her body. After futile attempts to get rid of Pete, Tazusa decides to get accustomed to his presence and in the meantime, improve on her techniques in order to get selected for the Olympics.

So. We have a young guy who wants to literally get into a girl's body AND mind. How Japanese! What do you mean, this desire doesn't happen :!: How else do you think we guys could figure out what goes on in a girl's mind anyways :?: Anyhow, this is a pervasive Japanese theme - the jeopardy element, when she finds out she is literally "stuck" with this guy inside of her. Of yeah, and she's kind of a DOB? She needs educating (Taming of the Shrew / Pygmalion?). Or so I read it. No I haven't seen it. It's just the common anime theme; must do well, because it's pretty well standard for the bulk of the high school stuff, as well as many others... As for the figure skating theme, well before all the guys wuss out, last I checked, it was OK to watch it. :wink: I will have to check with Kim to see if this has turned up as an anime theme before - except for Sailor Jupiter of course. :wink:

PARTY STUFF:

I forgot to mention before, I still have some party stuff from the last Xmas - green paper plates and crepe paper - with green painters' tape (in the JAWS colour, of course). Plus, miscellaneous styrefoam bowls and paper cups.

Kim got a bunch of Pocki on sale in Chinatown awhile ago - I'm hiding it at her request so that she doesn't devour it. I don't know if I should get some pop, or let Ray and Terry pick it up along with chips and chocolate.

DECISION TIME!!

Let's narrow down the decision about the programming and party at November's meeting, OK? the weather is supposed to start easing up this Wednesday. Hopefully it won't be so brutal next month. It didn't stop us a couple of years ago. Hey, I ride my bike in all weather.

tigergirl

Found Proper Name for one of the Anime

Post by tigergirl »

:D :mrgreen: I have finally found the proper title for Moken and it is Kidou Shinsengumi Moeyo Ken TV or Moeyo Ken after I had found the title in Newtype USA Dec 2006 (it is on page 23) and here is the synopsis to the show. :mrgreen: :D
Since the era changed from Edo to Meiji, Japan has been changing rapidly with the current government's policy of modernization. Kyoto where Expo was being held.

The government issued licenses to monsters that lived with humans. There was a company that arrested unregistered monsters to keep the peace. The name of the company is "Kido Shinsengumi Co. Ltd."

Meanwhile, a young guy came back to Kyoto from Shanghai with his monster buddy, Nekomaru. He was Sakamoto Ryunosuke, the son of Sakamoto Ryoma.
This is a 13 eps sequel to the 4 part OAV.

You can check them both out at http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1375 ... sengu.html and
http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1740 ... sengu.html

anifan

JAWS 2006 Xmas party poster

Post by anifan »

OK, this is just to alert everybody that Kim and I have made a posting about the Xmas party poster / handbill, that we've just conceived and designed, under Artwork. :arrow: Don't know what the Admin will think of this. Anyhow, we couldn't get the actual image on the Forum, like Karl could... :cry: It's pretty self-descriptive, though. Shouldn't really matter; but we might be able to shoehorn it onto Kim's site temporarily somehow, if it does.

:idea: For what it's worth though, I think I will e-mail the image to JAWS' Anime Overlords, Greg W. and Ray.

anifan

JAWS annual Xmas bash

Post by anifan »

Hi otaku, I have some more updates on our 2006 Xmas party!

I got some plastic spoons / forks / knives last night (I just have JAWS leftovers). I will be heading by another place shortly to pick up some green serviettes, as we have run out from before.

Kim has found some candy with real sushi in it, on the jbox website - YUCK!!! :x :x :x :x :x I think this is one thing the Japanese can keep to themselves! But Terry is welcome to bring some proper sushi....

On to the ANIME!!

I think what Ray was talking about was "Zero no Tsukaima" - there's not too many animes with "Zero" in the title. It fits his description. It has a witch and the magical stuff, etc on an alternate version of earth. It translates out as "Familiar of Zero", which I think refers to her hapless male apprentice. So long as he doesn't get beat on too much and she has some redeeming qualities. If this follows form, she is probably somewhat misguided, and not truly evil, and ultimately comes around to the benefit, or at least relief, of the guy. Anyways, Ray says it's cool, so it must be so... It's also brand new.

Description:

A normal high school student, Hiraga Saito, is transported into another world. The witch who summoned him is Louise. Although very cute, she is also very haughty and has no talent for magic. In fact, she is popularly known as “Louise the Zero” after the success rate of her magic. Before Saito could gain his bearings, Louise suddenly pushes her lips to his. Mysterious letters appear on the back of his hand and he becomes her familiar spirit. So Saito begins to live with Louise in the boarding house of Tristein Magical Academy. Every day, he is abused, scolded, (and loved?) by this haughty but cute girl. This is how his exciting days filled with courage, humiliation, and love begin.

I think that Ray is essentially right about the choice of anime and what JAWS watches, or at least what has evolved with us in recent months. In part, however, this is a subset of what could could be considered "shojou-oriented". More about this subject on my posting "too shojou?" under "JAWS General". :arrow: Thankfully, this turned up. I'm not sure than Ginban Kaleidoscope would have been such a bad choice otherwise. :? Again (here), I will sacrifice it partially on the condition that we play it in the new year instead (even if it means bumping Death Note for awhile). Deal? :wink:

Kim has some bent about female samurais, and has brought up Kidou Shinsengumi Moeyo Ken TV (Moken). However, there are four of us, including her, who would like Zero no Tsukaima. Can we decide on this? So far neither Greg W. or Ray have posted anything on this. Hello! We got that title out of the blue at our November meeting. We need to get this posted, debated fast, and settled, so that Greg can post for December for the party. Also, Kim and I can add a title to our JAWS poster, get some handbills made up, hopefully in the next week, and we can get a couple of colour ones printed up. Kim has already made a couple dozen with "Anime TBA" to take to DOA's Xmas party tonight. Is silence consent on the poster design?

tigergirl

Sushi Candy

Post by tigergirl »

Greg you got it wrong, the sushi is candy, no rice, fish or other stuff, it is a candy in the shape of sushi. There are three different sushi candy, omelet, squid or otcopus and tuna. I am not sure which the second is so that is why I said squid or octopus.

tigergirl

Update

Post by tigergirl »

Greg you got it wrong, the sushi is candy, no rice, fish or other stuff, it is a candy in the shape of sushi. There are three different sushi candy, omelet, squid or otcopus and tuna. I am not sure which the second is so that is why I said squid or octopus.
I had check out jbox.com and the second one is squid and not octopus.

here is what they look like.

http://www.jbox.com/IMAGE/x13ej (Squid1)
http://www.jbox.com/IMAGE/pjrmz (Squid2)
http://www.jbox.com/IMAGE/y9n9t (Tuna1)
http://www.jbox.com/IMAGE/d5zj1 (Tuna2)
http://www.jbox.com/IMAGE/iysi2 (Egg1)
http://www.jbox.com/IMAGE/r3eeh (Egg2)

Also some good news, when I went over to the DOA Christmas Party, I had handed the posters around and there are 4 people coming to the JAWS Christmas Bash. I had told them that the BYOB/BYOF is optional and the time is approx.

Also I had sent a post at the Otafest forum announcing the party. So we might get a few more people.

anifan

Sushi Candy + bad candy & foods + party food updates

Post by anifan »

:o Oh, I see. Well, I only looked at the *bottom* of the description - it "said" the stuff was the real deal - after stating in the middle that it actually wasn't. :roll: BTW - the squid-SHAPED candy is no longer on; could be sold out temp? Methinks this stuff is actually marketed for gaijin... There are actually some Pocky commercials on the jbox website... I got it wrong as "Pocki". :?

:wink: Well, if jbox - or jlist, their companion hentai site, wanted to sell me some candy, they could make cookies that look like Japanese schoolgirls - it would give new meaning to the phrase "bite me"! :twisted:

Anyhow, I'm going to get some chocolate buds at Co-op shortly - they're on sale for Xmas. It's now up to Ray to get a whole bunch of chips and like stuff! Also, I got a bunch of pop there on Saturday - the Canada Dry stuff is best quality, and it was on sale, PLUS with coupons. Hope y'all like cranberry ginger ale... NO caffeine, though - Kim and I can't have it. Last I know, from Ray, I think they still have Jolt Cola at the corner store near the Sentry Box. If anybody wants the US version, I know where to get it, but they better let me know soon, as I'll likely be going by that store to get bike stuff soon - and I need to be paid cash for it, as it's imported and mighty dear.

I have not seen chocolate Santas and such this year, and anyhow they're a pain to break up - AND expensive to boot. :idea: Best stuff I ever got, was on sale after Xmas a couple of years ago (I can look just before the JAWS Xmas bash to see if any neat holiday food is put on sale) - was "chocolate pizza" - I showed it to the people where I was rooming at in a place in Montgomery for awhile a couple of years back, and they thought the idea was pretty weird, but the red and green stuff swirled on it made it pretty good... ( :!: I will also have to see about scouting out white chocolate on sale after Xmas, for use as a post-Valentine's "White Day" gift...)

:!: BAD FOODS ALERT - FYI :!:

OK, troopers, Pizza 73 is actually now making "Fire Chicken Pizza"!! It has jalepeno peppers and salsa. :shock: :twisted: S'pose you could get it as part of a 2-for-1 deal by having only the jalepeno and skipping the salsa for 2 toppings... Is anybody brave - or foolish - enough to actually try this? :x :roll: NOTE: no fair using the fire extinguisher for a beverage. And I haven't even told you about the jalepeno ice cream an ice cream shop tried in the US - it didn't sell... people weren't favourable to the hot-and-cold at the same time concept. (Sounds as bad as the fake peanut butter ice cream I had once.)

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Anyways, absolutely the worst candy or food I've ever had, was hot Mexican watermelon candy. OK, so you think that mere description sounds bad? It gets WORSE!!! It tastes like rotting cantelopes, with hot tamale sauce - AND it's coated with some weird gritty stuff - prolonging the agony of trying to finish it. I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!! You have been warned!

anifan

Xmas party advertising

Post by anifan »

:idea: OK, I have had some more ideas about getting some more, and new, people to the Xmas party.

I have talked to a friend of mine and Kim's, he is interested. Also, he should like the particular show we will be playing. He would generally like comedic shows, although I don't know if he can make it out regularly. He is now applying for jobs that have fairly irregular hours. However, he is getting fairly depressed this Christmas, so he needs something to cheer him up.

Kim and I will be posting posters and flyers at Words & Pictures (U of C), Phoenix Comics, and Redd Skull Comics.

:idea: I just thought of taking a poster and some flyers down to the Quickdraw Animation Society downtown - they are on 4th Street and 11th Avenue SW.

:? Well, that is interesting that we have some DOA people interested. There has been a lot of petty stuff in the past, mostly I think the fallout from cliqueiness. It's past due time to move on. JAWS, at least, has gone through some major changes as well as having been quiet for awhile now.

BTW - an update I should mention here. Anime Alberta no longer seems to have a full website - including links either: they just seem to be a chat forum type of group. Not surprising, as that has always been a stong component of the group. With the 404's improv group thing taking off, they just seem to have become less active. We can't interlink with their website of course, but at this time it seems like a moot point anyhow.

anifan

Xmas bash - last update

Post by anifan »

OK, I thought I would give what is actually a belated update. At this point, there isn't much else to do, and some things have slipped by, or almost so. Sorry, I have had a persistent cold that has morphed with a flu bug, so I have been really tanked out for the past week or so. :evil: :evil: :evil: But I am on heavy antibiotics, and should be OK by the party next Wed., as it takes about a week for them to kick the germs out.

FOOD

I broke down and got some more pop. First, I didn't want all cranberry pop, although Canada dry is the best kind. I got some Lemon ginger ale, although it turns out to be almost the blahest (IGA / Sobey's is the worst - it tastes like stale pee!) and kinda sucks (Ray's comments on "junky" lemon drinks). But because I had $1.00 coupons off of 2, 2-litre bottles, I had one extra of each for myself... Hey, the North Hill Co-op had Canada Dry on for a lesser sale price - then had a special store sale - I got the lemon for 49 cents after the coupon! Then I decided that we still didn't have enough variety in pop, so I got some Co-op brand stuff - including root beer.

Also, I got some giant cookies in a 16-pack from Safeway - they were on sale. I sure hope I can lug all this stuff down to the Sentry Box. Kim managed to get a deal on some sticky, flavoured Asian rice cakes from T&T Supermarket. She is trying to get some goodies from the jbox website, but they were ordered rather late....

:!: AND YET MORE PECULIAR FOOD!!! :!:

I forgot to mention, the jbox website also has sake (rice wine) candy. But that's as in "FLAVOURED". So, no, you can't get and eat a whole case lot, hoping to get drunk....

POSTERS

Kim and I finally got the colour posters / flyers printed up today. (We guess that it must have been OK?) Too late for Words & Pics at the U of C; although we are actually getting even *more* DOA members yet coming out! (According to Kim - she got responses to her Otafest forum post.) Kim has just dropped off some to Phoenix Comics and Yukino's Anime Shop. I hit Redd Skull just now - and I found out that one of their employees used to go to JAWS when Karl was still around a year ago. I will try to hit the Quickdraw Animation society on Saturday, but I'm not even sure if they'll still be open... I'll have to see about dropping off regular flyers there in the coming year. OMG, I still have to do the Sentry Box itself yet!!! Well, I'll be in the area early Saturday; don't know if Ray'll be there, although maybe it would help if he got a few flyers to distribute, last minute....

Also, I *FINALLY* e-mailed a poster off to my brother here in Calgary!!! Yeah - THAT'S what I was going to mention before!! :idea: He just married a Japanese girl, he speaks fluent Japanese; they share a house out in Rundle with a couple of visiting Japanese students.

AND THE ANIME!!

OK, Greg, you still haven't posted which anime it's going to be that we're showing!! I sure hope we've decided!!! Although Kim and I just said "anime TBA" on the posters. Hoping you and Greg are regularly checking the website for these posts. :?: SO, Ray - was that speculated series actually "Zero No Tsukaima"?? :?:

:arrow: BTW :arrow:

See my comments under JAWS General - Anime for Showing, regarding the possible fate of showing "Ginban Kaleidoscope" soon, alternatively.

anifan

VERY last Xmas party post

Post by anifan »

I am going today to pick up the green napkins for Wed's Xmas party - I didn't quite make it yesterday, but Reid's Stationers are open specially today. I have to do a couple more things in the area that I didn't quite get to yesterday.

The last thing I meant to mention before is, we are logically not going to START at 6:00 pm. for the party - but we are going to have to set up - and the more people to help and make sure the food is out OK the better. Hopefully Greg will be able to come early, and he can also set up properly, and we can get going by 7:00. ALSO - it would be good to have a good break in the middle so that we can mingle!!

See you at the party!!

yiyth

Helping out

Post by yiyth »

I find that I'll be able to attend the Christmas party after all. The child I look after goes into respite care roughly at noon. I have a few things to do prior to that, but I WILL be attending. I'll bring some baked goods. Cupcakes/muffins.

tigergirl

Sad News

Post by tigergirl »

:( :cry: :oops: As of this morning, I still haven't recieved the food items from J-Box, I am going to see if I have any mail and hopefully one of the things that I had ordered is there, if not Either Greg Lang or I will keep the snack foods put away safe until next years Christmas Party/Bash or if you want we can have some of them at the next meet.

I will make sure that I order the food items in time for next years Christmas Party/Bash, so we don't have this kind of trouble again.

anifan

JAWS' annual Xmas bash - fallout

Post by anifan »

Erk, I didn't know Vulcans could get sick! Yep, they still have the common cold in the 23rd century. Actually, I've had the flu for the past 2 months.

As to the JAWS Xmas party - WHERE DID ALL THE PEOPLE COME FROM :?: :!: :?: :!: I did drop some flyers off at the Quickdraw Animation Society the Saturday before the party - then when I went by on Sunday to pick up the napkins, I found out that the other artist-run place on the second floor of the same building - EM Media - had an open house, and my poster and flyers were gone. Some maybe we got some people from QAS who flukily saw this truly last minute stuff?? I do know that we got a local Furry comic artist (Richard Bartrop) out after he saw the poster I put up at the Sentry Box Saturday night.

We will see how many of the new people show up. Also, how we're going to handle the newbies - although that shouldn't be difficult - it depends how familiar they are with anime.

My sole grouse is that I didn't expect such a mob scene - we've had the core diehards only out for months. It wasn't a big deal, as everybody was mellow; but with so many unannounced people showing up, it made food and organizing difficult. There was a paradox - we had a ton of people show up early - and some late; with food, the latter was a problem.

Also, a lot of the stuff was junk rather than solid food. Unfortunately, we had an "appropriate" winter BLIZZARD hit that afternoon :shock: - and I was late due to finishing work outside - and then biking across downtown with a ton of food in all the snow and against the wind. :x I was going to get at least a couple of pizzas, but with all the additional chaos of new people who arrived early, it didn't happen.

UPDATE: On Pizza 73's "Fire Chicken" pizza - I have since learned that chicken with peppers originated in South Africa, and made its way to Europe via Portugese settlers. Inglewood Pizza also seems to have something along this line, maybe, so the ethnic dish could be a little more common than I thought. (I don't know very much about Japanese food for that matter, either.)

About the other choice of anime, "Zero no Tsukaima", I was a little freaked that we didn't play it. But I have to agree, Ginban Kaleidoscope was quite seasonally appropriate after all. :!: BTW - that anime was quite informative about figure skating in Japan; simply, that their winter sports go through a faddish phase along with the Olympic cycle, and I believe that that in turn is probably based on Japan not being a particularly cold "winter" country (think of the central U.S.). As to playing Zero no Tsukaima, see my comments under JAWS General, Anime for Showing, for another, mid-year special evening (also about the Japanese snacks Kim mentioned ordering). The animation of Ginban Kaleidoscope was generally competent - so imagine what Zero no Tsukaima would be like!