Where & When

General JAWS related posts go here.
Pellanor
Site Admin

Where & When

Post by Pellanor »

JAWS is located at the Sentry Box, 1835 10th Ave SW.

ImageImage

JAWS MEETING TIMES
Last Wednesday of each month from 7pm to 12 am

Maps:
Google Maps
MapQuest

GoreShmit

JAWS Tomorrow?

Post by GoreShmit »

You guys are doing JAWS tomorrow from seven to midnight (New Years Eve), right?

h_rayz
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Earth, Sol, Capricorn Arm, Milky Way, 3rd Quantum Iteration

Post by h_rayz »

Yes!

JAWS is on for New Year's Eve (Dec. 31, 2008.)

Probably go a bit past Midnight, as the Prez needs to attend a different party that night. We will go on until he can attend ours afterwards.

See you all there!
^_^

JAWS RULES!

anifan

JAWS: New Year's Eve party

Post by anifan »

:o Hm, I guess we defaulted to the normal time. I've been kind of wondering. Good thing this (new?) guy checked about the date, though.

:roll: I've been trying to kick Kim off her own computer this (Tuesday) night (she was doing non-JAWS/party stuff). Also, we have now been packing and getting ready for tomorrow. We will definitely be bringing some food - and decorations.

:lol: I see that we will be playing BGC after all!!! I had no idea about Greg-san's schedule. Kim, at least, will be arriving early to set up. But, assuming that Greg-san will be arriving not much later than 7:00 p.m., we will still have an opportunity to play stuff late.

P.S.: Kim will be bringing Xmas AMVs (see AMV section for listing).

N.B.: I have made a (belated) posting on the General Discussion section now.

J_walker_anonymous

Post by J_walker_anonymous »

Have You thought about having it more then one night a month? or this not possible? --> I have no idea (new here) so I was just wondering ^.^-
[Z?]

filmie007

SURPRISED

Post by filmie007 »

Hey Guys! I used to attend JAWS a billion years ago, when it was above the sentry box at Leonard's apartment in marda loop. funny thing was, that I had heard it was disbanded because Leonard didn't like something we did. and I hadn't heard anything since. until recently. much to my surprise you are still going! which is awesome! and you have only recently left the sentry box. which is odd to me, because i thought it had been disbanded for life from the sentry box, lol. anyway can't wait to hopefully attend again. is it the same as it was many years ago? you come in, you make a donation and sit down?

anifan

Re: SURPRISED

Post by anifan »

:shock: Wow, we got an old-time member! :D Hey dude - as you can see from the website - we are working on a JAWS history. What year did you attend? There is one old-time member who you might remember (I am using her computer right now). :?: We are also trying to document what anime was played back then (see JAWS: anime played before 2005, under "Schedule").

:!: I have been informed that the general donation thing went only briefly in the mid-1980s(?). However, we also re-instituted it a few years ago, specifically for the food. We WOULD be open to receiving other donations - see below. :mrgreen:

:cry: The Sentry Box wanted $400 a month. :? We are NOT disbanded! We have some info on the "new" website - did you do a Google search? 8) We have been temporarily meeting at a member's apartment. Since we have just become an official non-profit, we might have a new meeting place by the end of February. :wink:

filmie007 wrote:Hey Guys! I used to attend JAWS a billion years ago, when it was above the sentry box at Leonard's apartment in marda loop. funny thing was, that I had heard it was disbanded because Leonard didn't like something we did. and I hadn't heard anything since. until recently. much to my surprise you are still going! which is awesome! and you have only recently left the sentry box. which is odd to me, because i thought it had been disbanded for life from the sentry box, lol. anyway can't wait to hopefully attend again. is it the same as it was many years ago? you come in, you make a donation and sit down?

filmie007

Old member

Post by filmie007 »

I attended between 1996 and 1997 or something like that. I remember the last day I attended fairly well. I don't remember the first movie we put on, as everyone agreed it was boring. So we put on Leonard's brand new Macross perfect, when he came in and saw that we had changed the movie without his permission he lost it and kicked everyone out. I remember a few other things we watched, but not by name. and yes I just happened to put in JAWS calgary by chance into google... as I saw a post by the sentry box on facebook which reminded me of JAWS. I think I know the girl you are referring to, her name is right on the tip of my brain. I am letting another old JAWS member know as well. I remeber watching a godzilla movie that was very humorous, it had american actors in it and they were all talking english, one of them was a robot, lol. one was a very gay naval captain, funny stuff.

tigergirl

Re: Old member

Post by tigergirl »

:shock: Oops, :shock: I think that you got your date wrong and it might have been 1986 and 1987, because I do remember the movie and how Leonard had reacted and it was in the room above the Sentry Box store in Marda Loop.

The reason is, when the Sentry Box had moved from Marda Loop to its new location, Leonard had stepped down and we got a new president. JAWS had gone through a few presidents, I can't remember who replaced Leonard, but, i think, after that it was Karl Reichart, then Greg (I can't think of his last name) and now Ray Harrison.

If you are trying to think of my name it is Kim Brown. You might remember me as the young girl with bright red hair.

A few things had happened, since then. Do you remember the old TV and VCR that Leonard had and donated to JAWS, well shortly after it was moved to where JAWS was now, it got stolen. Although not at the same time, the VCR was stolen and then the TV.

JAWS now has a projector and Ray uses his laptop and we view all sorts of anime.

I and the rest of JAWS members hope to see you at our next meet, which might be on the last Saturday of this month. Just check for updates.
filmie007 wrote:I attended between 1996 and 1997 or something like that. I remember the last day I attended fairly well. I don't remember the first movie we put on, as everyone agreed it was boring. So we put on Leonard's brand new Macross perfect, when he came in and saw that we had changed the movie without his permission he lost it and kicked everyone out. I remember a few other things we watched, but not by name. and yes I just happened to put in JAWS calgary by chance into google... as I saw a post by the sentry box on facebook which reminded me of JAWS. I think I know the girl you are referring to, her name is right on the tip of my brain. I am letting another old JAWS member know as well. I remeber watching a godzilla movie that was very humorous, it had american actors in it and they were all talking english, one of them was a robot, lol. one was a very gay naval captain, funny stuff.

filmie007

Kim and Dates

Post by filmie007 »

Well I hadn't moved to Calgary until December of '87. and I didn't find out about JAWS until I met a guy in my Japanese class who introduced me to it. which would have been at the earliest 1994...maybe 1995. I just checked the release date of Macross perfect and it was released in 1996. I keep thinking he had it on DVD but I honestly can't remember if it was VHS or DVD lol. either way, there is no way it could have been the 80's. I do remember you. point of fact I can't really remember any other girls there. I asked my other friend, and neither of us could remember your name, but we could remember red hair lol. now that you say your name, its very familiar.

anifan

Re: Kim and Dates

Post by anifan »

It sounds like you're mixing the dates of two JAWS showing periods together. If it was at Leonard's, then it had to be on VHS. If it was at the current location, then it would have been on DVD for Macross Perfect - even though it could have come out on VHS. (We encountered this same format transition problem when recalling JAWS' history.) I think you and Kim are going to have to sit down and compare notes, first. I started coming around the same time as you mentioned with that metaseries, as I remembered some of the individual series playing (very late at night - I left then as I was not a mecha fan and didn't follow it). By then, Chris Guy and Karl Reichert were running JAWS together. See JAWS' History under "News". I have to admit, I was pretty spoiled by DVDs and the projector setup as well. As to the "quality" - soundwise of some fansubs nowadays... :x

So Leonard kicked out you out his apartment at the old Sentry Box? Gilles Poitras is right - don't have your anime club at home; otherwise it'll end up being only your (close) friends. Anyhow, I talked to Leonard on the phone last summer - I might have seen him around there sometimes - and he thought that JAWS was only a couple decades old - that would not even include his time there! He was pretty mellow on the phone, but didn't really remember anything about JAWS, and is just concerned about gaming nowadays. :? He also is a minority owner in the Sentry Box - and stated that the decision to not sponsor JAWS for free there anymore was not his. Past President Karl Reichert apparently bought all of his anime at Phoenix South! :lol:

There is no confirmation right now as to the date and place where we're having JAWS this month - although we will be doing it, as we've never skipped a month. However, for obvious reasons, we can't post a private address on an internet forum - we would have to contact people individually, including old members. Again, I myself want JAWS to be more than a club; or for that matter a little clique - it is fine in terms of being a drop-in arrangement, in part as it was - we just need a proper public place to show anime.

Myself and Kim, we're trying to respond to you in the middle of renos at her place - sorry for delays. Wherever we have JAWS until we get moved in, it will be pretty crowded, as from what I understand, the private members' spaces are even smaller than Leonard's place. Kim and I could meet you sometime privately, but maybe not in the coming week.

BTW: Kim now remembers the Godzilla movie - she thinks it was Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964) - and she says it was shown on VHS - as a VERY bad dub. :lol: :roll: Well, there is one constant rule: don't touch the equipment or anime of the owner, especially without their permission.

filmie007 wrote:Well I hadn't moved to Calgary until December of '87. and I didn't find out about JAWS until I met a guy in my Japanese class who introduced me to it. which would have been at the earliest 1994...maybe 1995. I just checked the release date of Macross Perfect and it was released in 1996. I keep thinking he had it on DVD but I honestly can't remember if it was VHS or DVD lol. either way, there is no way it could have been the 80's. I do remember you. point of fact I can't really remember any other girls there. I asked my other friend, and neither of us could remember your name, but we could remember red hair lol. now that you say your name, its very familiar.
Last edited by anifan on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

filmie007

Old timey Member

Post by filmie007 »

Yeah leonard kicked us out that night. godzilla was a different night altogether. The night we got kicked out, we were all watching an anime that everyone agreed after 20-30 minutes into it, that it was boring. besides we were all stoked to see the macross perfect video. leonard had left while this was all transpiring, he rarely stayed when we watched stuff. so someone took a vote and we all agreed to have him put on macross perfect collection. so he did we were maybe 3/4 through either the first or second episode, when leonard came back up and watched a few seconds then realized it wasn't what he had put on, then he got angry and told everyone to leave. and that was the last time I was at JAWS.

After much searching, I finally found the Godzilla movie that we had seen, that I couldn't remember what it was. It was Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991) do you need any information from me to let me know when the next meeting is?

anifan

Re: Old timey Member

Post by anifan »

Then you aren't a real old-time member; although the other people that attended gradually dropped away for one reason or another. Kim originally said that she thought that if they didn't get a DVD player right away, then they got another VCR/TV. But now she thinks that they then got a PSP/Playstation - the first on the market to play DVDs - with a video projector to show anime on the wall. She thought that Leonard quit right away when the Sentry Box moved the last time - but this would allow for an overlap. I'm not sure exactly when that was - in the mid-1990s - but it could allow for Macross to be played, as well as the newer Godzilla movie. That must have been a year or two before I joined, though. I wonder who requested the vote?

Kim says that the first two series of Macross are on the Macross Perfect Collection DVD set - and were NOT released on VHS. Interestingly, later President Karl Reichert started playing Macross with that. Kim must have remembered the earlier Godzilla movie from somewhere else, as she remembers only one ever being played at JAWS. I know almost zip about Godzilla - though I'm thinking of making an AMV using it.

Anyhow, I'm not sure how the bit about Leonard's apartment comes up. They were NOT in the Marda Loop area by then - that was too early for both the shows you mention and their DVD releases. The back area of the new store was not part of his apartment like at the old store. I don't know if he lived in one of the apartments at the bottom back area.

I'm not sure about the next meeting. Your e-mail is listed on the website Memberlist.

filmie007 wrote:Yeah leonard kicked us out that night. godzilla was a different night altogether. The night we got kicked out, we were all watching an anime that everyone agreed after 20-30 minutes into it, that it was boring. besides we were all stoked to see the macross perfect video. leonard had left while this was all transpiring, he rarely stayed when we watched stuff. so someone took a vote and we all agreed to have him put on macross perfect collection. so he did we were maybe 3/4 through either the first or second episode, when leonard came back up and watched a few seconds then realized it wasn't what he had put on, then he got angry and told everyone to leave. and that was the last time I was at JAWS.

After much searching, I finally found the Godzilla movie that we had seen, that I couldn't remember what it was. It was Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991) do you need any information from me to let me know when the next meeting is?

filmie007

leonards apartment

Post by filmie007 »

to get to Leonard's apartment you had walk up some stairs as it was upstairs above the sentry box just around the back. although once in the living room there were stairs that presumably went down into the store which is where I assume Leonard would disappear to, when we watched our anime. like I said before, I was present in the mid 90's no earlier than 1994 and no later than maybe '96. not sure when the macross incident took place. I can't remember if it was VHS or DVD, and i found macross perfect on VHS for sale on amazon, so it is possible it was good 'ol VHS. lol. the Godzilla movie was in Japanese without subtitles, the way we watched anime back then too, and the American actors in it were speaking English. why in the English dub of the movie they dubbed over the English speaking actors I have no idea. at any rate I do look forward to the next meeting. hopefully I'm not working that night.

anifan

Re: leonards apartment

Post by anifan »

OK. I think I'm getting the idea. I just went onto Google, and Tapeworm released it in mid-August 1994; Streamline at Xmas 1996 - both on VHS. Anyways, it wouldn't have been on DVD since it was at the old location. So since the Sentry Box would have moved by the later time, I think you were last there at the old location, shortly before they moved. JAWS was meeting at somebody's house for a couple months while they moved the store. Sometime after that, Leonard have would retired - but he was working the VCR/TV setup at the new place for half a year's time, anyhow. Kim says he was getting too busy with work there.

So you are a JAWS old-timer - just barely!

Here is the URL for a Calgary Herald story on the Sentry Box: http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/new ... 4053441779

filmie007 wrote:to get to Leonard's apartment you had walk up some stairs as it was upstairs above the sentry box just around the back. although once in the living room there were stairs that presumably went down into the store which is where I assume Leonard would disappear to, when we watched our anime. like I said before, I was present in the mid 90's no earlier than 1994 and no later than maybe '96. not sure when the macross incident took place. I can't remember if it was VHS or DVD, and i found macross perfect on VHS for sale on amazon, so it is possible it was good 'ol VHS. lol. the Godzilla movie was in Japanese without subtitles, the way we watched anime back then too, and the American actors in it were speaking English. why in the English dub of the movie they dubbed over the English speaking actors I have no idea. at any rate I do look forward to the next meeting. hopefully I'm not working that night.