Wasabii

General JAWS related posts go here.
tigergirl

Wasabii

Post by tigergirl »

Now that it is more or less official, Wasabii is up and running. I will try to bring in whatever is available at Qalala in Chinatown or anywhere else (there are 3 Asian supermarkets here in Calgary). Although at this moment (as far as I know) Qalala does not have any Japanese Kit-Kats, but should be getting some soon - hopefully by Halloween.

As to what I will be getting in the way of the Japanese Kit-Kats, I do not know, other than the Green Tea Kit-Kats, as the other Kit-Kats I brought before were of limited edition and now that they are sold out that will be it.

I will take requests for any treats that you want, but it might take awhile for me to get them if they are imported like the Kit-Kats.

Also, I would like for people to donate money so that I can continue bringing these snacks.

Thanks.

anifan

Wasabii - expensive Japanese treats / re covering costs

Post by anifan »

A wasabii is a Japanese horseradish. The term has been used to designate the JAWS volunteer person(s) who organize the food. When we had more people consistently, this included monthly pizza ordering out. People pooled their money and we had it delivered from Pizza 73 nearby.

We also had donations for the annual Xmas / New Year's parties. This fell off when some money was stolen one time several years back. Usually, we had sushi platters brought in by a former JAWS President.

Kim and I have been spending a fair amount of money on a monthly basis, even though some of the treats we bring have been got on sale. we couldn't eat a whole package of stuff; and other people were interested in sharing it. This is important, but we decided to do this, after people gobbled up our Japanese Kit-Kats in July. We are not rich - and you are lucky that we can get them at all over here. They are expensive! While we shouldn't have put them all out at once, people should have only small amounts.

Thanks for one or two people donating in August. However, we didn't have anybody donating last month, although there weren't many people, and they didn't seem to have much money. It is true that sometimes people are waiting for their month-end paydays. Look for the "new" Wasabii sign and donation jar, on the food table at the back.

Kim and I decided to start bring food on a monthly basis a couple of years ago. It would now seem fair to have our expenses shared because of this. We didn't mind bringing a little bit; and sometimes people would give us the odd bit of money. We used to give way any some or all of the food each month, depending e.g. if we got dated stuff that was perishable or on sale or seasonal goodies. More recently, we have been taking it home to use next month. However, we could also do one of two things: that; or people could pay at the end of JAWS, to take certain amounts home.

tigergirl

Wasabii - Waiting for more Japanese Kit-Kats from Qalala

Post by tigergirl »

I was in Chinatown today, to look around and get something to eat. I went to Qalala to see if they had any new Japanese Kit-Kats in. They were supposed to be in already, but unfortunately nothing yet. :( Hopefully they will get some in by Xmas, in time for JAWS' annual party.

tigergirl

Re: Wasabii - Waiting for more Japanese Kit-Kats from Qalala

Post by tigergirl »

tigergirl wrote:I was in Chinatown today, to look around and get something to eat. I went to Qalala to see if they had any new Japanese Kit-Kats in. They were supposed to be in already, but unfortunately nothing yet. :( Hopefully they will get some in by Xmas, in time for JAWS' annual party.
I had been Chinatown, a few days ago and it looks like we will not be getting and Japanese Kit-Kats, maybe, in the New Year instead.

The distributor has been delaying the shipment of any kind of Kit-Kats for the last 6 months. Hopefully Qalala will get them soon. :cry: :roll: :shock:

tigergirl

Good News

Post by tigergirl »

I got some good news for everyone: I found a website were I can get all sorts of things, and that includes all sorts of candy. To top that off, they have 133 listing for Kit-Kats, out of which I had ordered 7 different Kit-Kats: Kit Kat Milk Orange Chocolate - BIG Little, Kit Kat Roasted Sweet Potato (Yakiimo) - Chunky Bar, Kit Kat Milk Strawberry Chocolate - BIG Little, Kit Kat Hokkaido Milk White Chocolate - 2 Mini Bars, Kit Kat Almond Chocolate - Chunky Bar, Kit Kat Kokutou & Kinako - 2 Mini Bars & Kit Kat Hojicha Roasted Tea - 1 Mini Bar.

The cost of these Kit-Kats is just under $25.00 (and that includes shipping). It might take about 2 months to get these Kit-Kats, but I think it is well worth the wait. The reason being that it might take 2 months is it takes up to 4 weeks to get it delivered to me and the mailing of the money order and processing of said money order.

I should comment that one of those Kit-Kats is going to be a very interesting Kit-Kat as it is a black sugar and soy powder in it.

Here is what napaJapan.com has to say about this Kit-Kat: A popular flavor is back after a 2 year absence. The outer brown chocolate tastes like Okinawa black sugar (Kokutou - similar to molasses.) Sweet kinako soy powder between the wafers which has a slight peanut butter taste. Individually wrapped 2 stick mini bars perfect for sharing with someone special.

SO check out the site and see what they have.

tigergirl

Some Great News

Post by tigergirl »

I got some great news for all JAWS members, 1) I went over to Qalala and finally they have gotten some Japanese Kat-Kats, this time around it is a Coke/7-Up Kit-Kat, to which I have on hold two packs of them. 2) The order that I had sent to NapaJapan has come in and I will bring the both of them at the next JAWS meeting.